Wednesday, June 3

Hump Day Art -- A Matter of Taste

Today's Hump Day Art is a comparison of two artists whose works I saw at the Philadelphia Museum of Art last month -- Claude Monet and Cy Twombly. I think they strongly demonstrate that art is a matter of taste. These photos were taken with my iPhone, so the quality is not that great. The first three below are by Monet.

The Sheltered Path -- 1873 -- Oil on canvas

Bend in the Epte River near Giverny -- 1888 -- Oil on canvas

Marine View near Etretat -- 1882 -- Oil on canvas

The next two works by Cy Twombly are part of a work called "Fifty Days at Illiam." The complete set of 10 are wall-sized, and completed in 1977-1978. They are oil, oil crayon, and graphite on canvas.


I thought these works present an interesting contrast.

1 comment:

Bob said...

I actually like them both.
I love the serenity of the Monet, and the energy of the Twombly.