Sunday, February 21

Sunday Dinner -- Chicken and Cashew Stir-Fry


For Valentine's Day, my mom got me a wok cookbook and Shane gave me a beautiful wok for Christmas.  Tonight I used both gifts and made a Chicken and Cashew Stir Fry that was De Lish Us!  Though the recipe says it serves four, the two of us ate  nearly the whole thing ourselves.  Here's the recipe:

Ingredients:

-- 1/2 cup cashews
--  1 red bell pepper
-- 1 lb. chicken breast
-- 3 tablespoons peanut oil
-- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
-- 2 tablespoons Chinese rice wine or dry sherry (I didn't have either, so I just used red wine)
-- 3 tablespoons hoisin sauce
-- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
-- 5-6 scallions, green part only, cut into 1-inch lengths

Brown cashews for 1-2 minutes in a hot wok without oil and remove from wok and set aside.

Cut up the bell pepper and chicken into thin strips.  Add peanut oil to the hot wok and add the garlic and let it sizzle for a few seconds.  Add the chicken and pepper strips and stir fry for 2 minutes.  Add the wine or sherry and hoisin sauce.  Continue to stir fry until the chicken is tender and evenly glazed.  Stir in the sesame oil, cashews, and scallions and serve immediately with rice.

Shane had seconds, so I say it was a hit.  I loved it too.

4 comments:

Ken Riches said...

Sounds great except for the bell pepper :o)

SteveA said...

It looks great - seems simple enough!

Kyle Leach said...

Similar to my recipe Mark, sans the sauce and chicken. I can smell it now. :)

Mark in DE said...

Looks/sounds deelish! I love cashews.