Thursday, February 18

Life Without Sweets -- Day 2

Although I'm not religious, I am using Lent as an excuse to give up sweets until Easter.  (Come on... I can't not eat chocolate on Easter--I'm not a fanatic.)  It is only Day 2, but I have to say, I do miss the sweets. 

Giving up "sweets" begs the question, "What is a sweet?"  Obviously it would include cookies, cake, donuts, ice cream, and candy.  But as I was about to put a piece of gum in my mouth, I stopped and wondered, "Is this a sweet?"  Since it was sugar-free, I decided it would be permitted.

Another problem is when I leave the gym during my lunch-time workout, I have to walk through a mall on my way back to my office and I always pass an Auntie Anne's pretzel place that has small pieces of sugar-coated pretzels sitting out as free samples.  I would often reward myself with a sample after a long run.  That is now out for a while. 

Anyway, I'm convinced I can actually lose weight if I don't eat any sweets, even if I don't really cut back on my eating.  I have been eating out the last few nights and although I haven't had any sweets, I haven't exactly been starving myself.

 I did have an apple today when I normally would have had a late-afternoon snack containing sugar in some form or another.  I also have been snacking on those little 100 calorie bags of nuts (almonds and walnuts), but just one bag  a day.  That's progress, right?

Giving up stuff for Lent is so much easier than a New Year's Resolution.  It is just 6 and a half weeks.  It's not like you have to commit to an entire year.  Anybody else giving up anything for Lent? 

3 comments:

Sara said...

Haven't decided yet... but I'm definitely not giving up sweets! Even if it's just to get an Auntie Anne's sample after running and TORTURE you, lol!

Stan in NH said...

Hi Mark,thanks for joining my blog. I, too am in the process of trying to give up sweets. It will be a challenge for me, but one I hope I can tackle! I am eating more fruit, which I do like, so it's at least something. :)

Kyle Leach said...

Even if cutting out the sweets doesn't help you to loose pounds mark, it will probably make you feel better. Lots of sweets have a tendency to sap people's energy. Who needs that.