Thursday, January 5

Runner's World Creamy Chicken Lasagna

This is the magazine photo. Mine wasn't this pretty.

This is a recipe from this February's issue of Runner's World magazine. It was pretty easy and very delicious. It sort of taste like lasagna pot pie. I couldn't find the recipe on their Web site yet, but I assume it will be there eventually. They have lots of good, healthy ideas.

For this recipe, I got cooked chicken off the grocery store salad bar and ground it up (tore it up) with my fingers. The recipe called for 4 cups of shredded chicken, but I used about 2.5. I also only did only two layers of meat rather than three and used only 2 cups of shredded mozzarella, rather than the 4 cups the recipe called for. I also have a smallish lasagna dish, so it all worked out.

You mix the chicken with 8 ounces of cream cheese (2/3 a package), 1 & 1/2 teaspoon of dried basil, and 1/4 cup of chicken broth. I used spicy pepper marinara sauce (recipe calls for 3 cups, but I use lots more--5 cups) rather than just tomato sauce. I cooked the lasagna noodles a bit (a couple minutes), but the noodles cook mostly in the oven. Put a little sauce in the bottom of the pan, a layer if noodles, a layer of chicken mixture, some mozzarella, and 2 tablespoons of Parmesan cheese. Repeat for another layer or two. Top with noodles and a mixture the remaining cream cheese and 1/4 of broth mixture. Cover with more mozzarella and Parmesan.

Bake covered with foil at 400 degrees for 45 minutes. Remove foil and broil top for 5 more minutes. Remove from oven and let stand for 10 minutes. Then enjoy!

4 comments:

Deep Dish said...

Sounds delicious. I might have to try this recipe myself. Thanks, Mark!

wcs said...

Looks mighty tasty!

emmy's closet said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
emmy's closet said...

Try this again ;)

Hi! I planned on making this for dinner tonight and just realized I threw the issue out...ahhh! I printed out your post and am going to use it as my recipe, hope I can figure it all out. Thanks!