Friday, October 28

Philadelphia Marathon Training--Runner's Nipple


Today I did my second long run of 20 miles.  That is the longest distance I have to run in training, but I ran it 2 weeks ago and again today.  It was actually a little easier today.  The first time I ran/walked the last couple miles.  Today, although I had a terrible night's sleep, I only stopped when I had to cross the street and at the very end when I had to go up Capitol Hill.  I actually think I may be able to do this.

After my run, when I took off my shirt, I noticed my right nipple was bleeding.  I believe it is the first time any type of liquid has been emitted from my nipple.  When I got into the shower, the pain of the water hitting my bloody nipple was horrible.  The only other time I felt such pain was when I had a kidney stone and when I severely cut my pinky when I was a kid.  I screamed.  It hurt like hell.  The picture to the right is not me, but I feel his pain.

2 comments:

Ron Buckmire said...

Yeah my roomate in college used to have this happen to him. The solution is to put bandaids or tape on your nipples at the beginning of the race.

Raybeard said...

I too used to suffer from this but it was easily alleviated by the application of vaseline before (and sometimes even during) a long run. That may be too easy an answer for some but it worked for me.
But best of luck with your continued training, hopefully without painful distractions like this.