Thursday, June 16

Buying Term Life Insurance-Cholesterol Drama


I currently have life insurance through my job as a Federal employee, but my current rate of $75 bi-weekly is going to go to $105 bi-weekly when I turn 50 in a few weeks.  It is much cheaper to get a comparable amount of term insurance through a private company.  I checked around and am able to get more insurance for $125 a month--better than the $227 a month the new rate will cost.  That low rate will stay the same for 20 years.  It is a huge savings over the Government insurance--more than $1,200.

The only problem is that I have to have a nurse come to the house and do a mini-physical, which includes taking blood for a cholesterol check.  I just had my cholesterol checked several months ago and it was not great.  Since then, I have been eating crazy amounts of salmon, oatmeal infused with flaxseed, and other foods designed to increase my HDL cholesterol.  However, it has only been a few months, so how much can it have changed by now?  I guess I'll find out.  My new insurance rate depends on it.

3 comments:

Ken Riches said...

I have been eating oatmeal bars for a while, I have cholesterol rings on my eyes. Hope the checkup goes well.

Mind Of Mine said...

Go have it done again by your doctor before proceeding with this new company. As it might hinder future applications even if you get your cholesterol down to a standard level.

Anonymous said...

1000mg of Niacin at bed time will have a quick effect as well as a long term solution. It lowered both my bad and trig in half at my next 3month bloodwork. Walgreens carries it in 500mg tablets and if the side effect bothers you try 500mg till you are used to it.