Friday, May 28

What Sets Off Your Gaydar?

What triggers your gaydar? Sometimes it can be a challenge to tell for sure if someone you don't know very well is a Friend of Dorothy. 

Not every gay man is a flamboyant flamer and not every lesbian is a plaid-wearing softball player. Wouldn't life be simpler if everyone would just follow the stereotype?

Luckily, I am taken, so having gaydar isn't really too much of a concern for me. I don't have very good gaydar, but here are a few things that cause my gayometer to go into the red. It doesn't mean the person is gay, but it makes me think he might be.

These, obviously, apply to men, and these are in addition to the obvious things, like having a rainbow flag tattooed on the forehead. Sorry if I offend with my stereotypes and generalizations.

 * When discussing anything related to children's beauty pageants or dance recitals, they bring up Jonbenet Ramsey. 
 * Refers to colors outside of what would be in a regular box of crayons--like mauve or azure. 
 * Uses terms like "boo boo." 
 * Considers going to the gym and sitting in the sauna a workout. 
 * Pays more than $25 for a haircut. 
 * They are smart, attractive, and make lots of money. (Perhaps this is some wishful thinking.) 
 * Watches Project Runway, Dancing With the Stars, or American Idol. 
 * Follows my blog. 
 What sets off your gaydar?

6 comments:

wcs said...

What? Going to the gym and sitting in the sauna is not a workout??

Raybeard said...

I don't know why but I think that there's a higher proportion of good-looking gay men than hetero men. It's not just because the former TEND to pay more attention to the way they look (though not always, of course), it's more in the looks that they innately possess - and I think a lot of women might agree. (Don't ask me for evidence - it's only my own observation, which I can't explain.)

Cubby said...

My gaydar's been busted since birth. I'm hoping someday they'll invent an artificial one I can buy.

Bob said...

I'm with Cubby. I know someone's gay when they say, "I'm gay."

BTW I heard that the new slang for someone being gay is switching from "He's a Friend of Dorothy" to "He should have a show on Bravo."

=)

sensual masseuse said...

Hey, nice blogging, thanks. Wish you large popularity and many, many more visitors and readers.

Musical Writer said...

Effeminate traits are a signifier, but knowing musical theater insider news or knowing who Sutton Foster is in general. That's the deal breaker.