Tuesday, May 25

Are You Pee Shy?--Wisdom for Your Brain

Paruresis is a type of phobia in which the sufferer is unable to urinate in the presence of others, such as in a public restroom. Paruresis is also known by many colloquial terms, including bashful bladder, bashful kidneys, stage fright, urophobia, pee-shyness, and shy bladder syndrome. It is also known as psychogenic urinary retention. Many people have brief, isolated episodes of urinary difficulty in situations where other people are in close proximity.  In severe cases, a person with paruresis can urinate only when alone at home or through the process of catheterization.

Some people cope by deliberately holding in their urine, by refraining from drinking liquids, or locating unoccupied or single-occupancy public bathrooms.  Severe cases of this disorder can have highly restricting effects on a person's life. In moderate to severe cases, overcoming paruresis can be extremely difficult without the help of a psychologist, therapist or support groups. Severe sufferers may not be willing to travel far from their home or be able to form intimate relationships. Others cannot urinate even in their own home if someone else can be heard to be there.

I have to admit that I, myself, am afflicted with this condition to a small degree, but I have a method of dealing with it that works for me. When going in a public restroom, I generally have no problem if I do multiplication problems in my head. It helps me relax and takes my mind off the worry of not getting the job done.

For more information about this condition, contact the International Paruresis Association at http://www.paruresis.org/.

7 comments:

Raybeard said...

I used to suffer from this acutely wherever I was - at work, in a bar, at the cinema/theatre, on holiday etc. Even going into a cubicle didn't help as I was always aware of others in the toilet or those who might come in while I was 'trying'. The inability to let go was really debilitating and affecting all my other behaviour, such that I would arrange my itinerary so that I need only piss at home. Then about 20 years ago someone suggested homoeopathy. I know that this practice gets a bad press as being a fraudulent, unscientific and illogical scam, but since 'taking the tablets' prescribed, the severity of the problem, though not 100% eliminated, has reduced to such a considerable extent that it has stopped blighting my daily life in the way it used to. Was it my hopes and expectations rather than the actual treatment that achieved such remarkable difference? Maybe, but whatever it was, something worked!

Stephen Chapman said...

Some advance warning for you...

http://thestateofthenationuk.blogspot.com/2010/05/advance-warning-next-5-on-fifth.html

The idea of the theme comes from walking around the local town and noticing some strange and interesting things on the buildings (most are hundreds of years old).

Ken Riches said...

If it is too busy or compact, I use the stalls.

Greg said...

I use the stalls when I can, especially if the urinals don't have dividers between them.

colmert said...

Having a shy bladder (paruresis) can be debilitating and affect every aspect of one's life. Thank you for drawing attention to this often ignored and misdiagnosed condition.

Please read more in a recently-published article at http://www.freep.com/article/20100425/FEATURES08/4250345/Shy-bladder-sufferers-work-to-overcome-their-anxiety

Female shy bladder sufferers, of which I am one, have some unique challenges. Long waits in line are common. What happens when a woman cannot urinate in a stall when others are close by? She has few options: retain urine until she finds a "safe" bathroom, self-catheterization - or running off to the wilds to find a deserted spot.

The book, "Bathrooms Make Me Nervous", helps women explore coping techniques and provides detailed concrete exercises for full recovery. It offers hope and inspiration to restroom-challenged women and men throughout the world.

Please visit www.bathroomsmakemenervous.com for further information.

Carol Olmert

Paruresis Man said...

AWESOME tip man! Doing multiplications in your head - I never heard of this. I blogged about this on my paruresis-related blog, but gave you full credit for it.

fil said...

I have been pee shy since I entered Middle School at age 12. When trying to pee in the boy's room two upper classmen came in and took the urinal in each side of me. They made a comment about my penis (late puberty). I stopped peeing and couldn't start again. After that I held my full bladder for 9 hours until I got home. This went on through high school. By age 15 I had grown tall and with it a large bladder (genetic from my father). Like him I still only go three times a day. I never went during morning and afternoon classes in college. I went to the library morning and late afternoon where there was a bathroom on the third floor hardly ever used. This is the beginning. I still am very pee shy although now that I am at work sometimes I have to go after lunch. I use the stall and that works out about 80% or the time. Otherwise I wait until I get home and urinate for a minute and a half or two minutes. I am married and I hope that neither of our sons will be pee shy. My wife understands my predicament.