Wednesday, May 26

Amazing Beach Experience--A Sea Tortoise

I flew down to Florida today and was able to go to the beach this afternoon. Shane is still traveling on business and is meeting me down here tomorrow.

Anyway, as I was relaxing on the beach, I noticed something in the surf up the beach from me a bit. I at first thought it was a raft, but then saw that it was walking. I walked over with my trusty iPhone and this is what it was--a sea tortoise (or turtle... I'm not sure of the difference). Maybe it was a terrapin.

Whatever it was, she went up in the dunes, dug around, I assume she laid some eggs, and then returned to the Gulf of Mexico. The whole process took about 45 minutes.

I was stressing out the whole time because a small group of people were watching her almost the entire time she was on the beach. They kept getting closer and closer. Whatever she is, I am sure she is endangered and people shouldn't bother her when she is laying eggs. OK, I did get close enough to take that photo, but I left after just a few seconds. The other people around did not. It didn't seem to bother her though. She did her thing and left.

BTW... The water was very warm and oil-free (so far).

2 comments:

gbinwpb said...

That is interesting, I have lived here all my life and never seen a turtle come out of the water during the day....they usually come out to lay eggs at night as it is dark and also much cooler temperature. But you did the right thing to stay away from her...they are very task oriented and can be distracted easily but they are highly endangered and huge fines can be levied if you are caught bothering them. But it is cool to see them, especially the larger ones.

Ken Riches said...

How cool. We go to New Smyrna (Atlantic coast) every year and see the nests that are roped off, but have not seen one.