Wednesday, March 3

Gay Marriage Legal in DC Starting Now


The Supreme Court denied haters' request to postpone DC's same-sex marriage law, which begins today.  That means same sex couples can start registering for a marriage license today and can get married after 3 full days, so I believe that the first actual marriages will be on Tuesday, March 9.  The AP reports that 200 couples are expected to apply today.  I'm not sure how they know that. 

Shane and I do plan to get married in DC.  I was hoping we could get married on May 2, which is the date we celebrate as our anniversary.  I thought it would be less complicated to have just one date to remember.  However, May 2 is on a Sunday, and we just wanted to go to City Hall and have a judge marry us, and I doubt that can happen on a Sunday.  We need to get more information. 

8 comments:

Bob said...

What a great feeling, to know that you now have that right!
Congrats to you and Shane.

Raybeard said...

Really, REALLY pleased for you - and for all gays in DC wanting to tie the knot. Whatever day it turns out to be for you I'm sure you and your new hubby will celebrate in style. (And we look forward to seeing your pics!)

Wonder Man said...

Please show pics when you do

Trent Austin said...

Awesome! I'm available on May 2nd if you guys want a fanfare or two :)

Siobhan said...

You play to get married? Is that like how you have to play to win?

Let's have an ExecSec party!

Sara said...

Well, you know how I feel Mr. Mark! I think you and Shane ought to have a wedding!!!! Please!!!! And of course, if you need ideas you could stop my blog :-)

Stan in NH said...

We actually did the civic marriage in January, but plan on doing the party/ceremony on our anniversary, so we have one anniversary date, just like you and Shane. Since your date is on a Sunday, you might consider doing a similar thing, although technically, we'll still have two dates. But we're not all that bothered by that.
Congratulations, regardless of what you decide to do. I'm glad you finally will be able to do it.

Mark in DE said...

How exciting for DC residents!! Good luck figuring out how you'll do it. :-)