Saturday, July 25

Eastern Market is Back!

Historic Eastern Market




Is Shane going to buy me flowers?

Above are some photos I took today of our walk over to Eastern Market on Capitol Hill. Built in 1873, the market burned down a couple of years ago. They had a temporary building there for a while, but now the old building has been revamped. It reopened a few weeks ago and this is the first chance Shane and I had of seeing it. It looks great! It is so much cleaner looking than before.

We had lunch at the famous market grill. Shane, as usual, had a burger. Though they are famous for their crab cakes, I had the North Carolina BBQ with coleslaw. My sandwich was messy, but delicious.

Take a few minutes to listen to this National Public Radio report about the reopening here. As the reporter notes, going to Eastern Market is like stepping back in time.

If you live around DC or come for a visit, it is a great place to spend a few hours. There is lots of interesting art, crafts, food, and more.

2 comments:

wcs said...

I used to go to Eastern Market when I lived on Capitol Hill back in, dare I say it, 1982. Way before it was chic, way before there was a grill or any fancy vendors or arts and crafts for sale outside.

There were some old guys selling old furniture (we still have some of the pieces we bought there) but that was about it.

The food vendors were great, though, especially for good down home soul food things.

I was back in 2006, before the fire, and saw how much the place had changed, gentrified, and fancified. It was still cool. Glad it's back.

Mark in DE said...

Spouse & I used to go to Eastern Market all the time in the mid 90s, picking up vintage furniture and such from the outdoor vendors. Your photos show a dramatic improvement over the former indoor space!