Saturday, June 13

My Giant Cactus is Budding


This is the cactus we use as a Christmas tree. In the spring, I drag it outside and eventually it begins to bud. There are lots of buds this year. It must have been enjoying our very wet spring of late. These phallic buds turn into huge flowers that usually bloom one or two evenings and then drop off.

I've had the cactus since I was in college -- about 27 years. It was my neighbor's before that, and he had it for years and years. The cactus is growing out of control, and I've promised Shane that I would downsize it. He's not exactly fond of me having to bring the huge thing into our tiny rowhouse every winter. He says it doesn't go with our decor.

Previously, when a top section would break off, I would put it in some dirt and it would do just fine. I think eventually I'm just going to re-pot one of those single sections and keep it and find the main section of the plant a good home. I'll post more shots when it actually blooms.

Clicking on the pictures will make them bigger.

2 comments:

wcs said...

If you change your décor to American South-Western, the cactus would go just fine!

My work here is done.

Bob said...

We've found several cacti buried beneath the mounds of leaves left by the former owners who never met a rake they knew how to use.
But I digress.
We've potted several and they're blooming such beautiful flowers right now.
Though not quite as big as your monster.


Feed me, Seymour.